Genesis 18:13-14
"A miracle has been defined as “a beneficial event brought about through
divine power that mortals do not understand and of themselves cannot duplicate.” –Elder
Oaks June 2001
Genesis 19:17
“Apparently what
was wrong with Lot’s wife was that she wasn’t just looking
back; in her heart she wanted to go back. …“It
is possible that Lot’s wife looked back with resentment toward the Lord for
what He was asking her to leave behind” (“Remember Lot’s Wife” [Brigham Young
University devotional address, Jan. 13, 2009], 2; speeches.byu.edu).
“All of the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah haunt
our society. Our young people have never faced a greater challenge. We have
never seen more clearly the lecherous face of evil.”
-President Gordon B. Hinckley
“Tell them I want them to make something of
their lives. They need to be the best
generation ever because the world is worse than it has ever been.”
-Elder L. Tom Perry, Interview December
6,2014
Spencer W.
Kimball
Because of this
widespread tolerance toward promiscuity, this world is in grave danger. When
evil is decried and forbidden and punished, the world still has a chance. But
when toleration for sin increases, the outlook is bleak and Sodom and Gomorrah
days are certain to return. (Faith Precedes the Miracle, Deseret
Book, [1972], p.154)
Gordon
B. Hinckley
The
traditional family is under heavy attack. I do not know that things were worse
in the times of Sodom and Gomorrah. … We see similar conditions today. They
prevail all across the world. I think our Father must weep as He looks down
upon His wayward sons and daughters. (Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting,
10 Jan. 2004, 20)
We
live in a season when fierce men do terrible and despicable things. We live in
a season of war. We live in a season of arrogance. We live in a season of
wickedness, pornography, immorality. All of the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah
haunt our society. Our young people have never faced a greater challenge. We
have never seen more clearly the lecherous face of evil. (Ensign, Nov
2001, 4)
Boyd
K. Packer
(Quorum of the Twelve)
Nothing
happened in Sodom and Gomorrah which exceeds in wickedness and depravity that
which surrounds us now.
Words
of profanity, vulgarity, and blasphemy are heard everywhere. Unspeakable
wickedness and perversion were once hidden in dark places; now they are in the
open, even accorded legal protection.
At
Sodom and Gomorrah these things were localized. Now they are spread across the
world, and they are among us. (Address to CES religious educators, Feb.
6, 2004, 4)
Richard
G. Scott
(Quorum of the Twelve)
Much
of the world is being engulfed in a rising river of degenerate filth, with the
abandonment of virtue, righteousness, personal integrity, traditional marriage,
and family life. Sodom and Gomorrah was the epitome of unholy life in the Old
Testament. It was isolated then; now that condition is spread over the world.
Satan skillfully manipulates the power of all types of media and communication.
His success has greatly increased the extent and availability of such degrading
and destructive influences worldwide. In the past some effort was required to
seek out such evil. Now it saturates significant portions of virtually every
corner of the world. We cannot dry up the mounting river of evil influences,
for they result from the exercise of moral agency divinely granted by our
Father. But we can and must, with clarity, warn of the consequences of getting
close to its enticing, destructive current. ("How to Live Well Amidst
Increasing Evil," Ensign, May 2004)
Hi Bro. Winkler! I don’t know if you remember me but I was in your seminary class at Mountain Crest High School in 2002. You were an AMAZING seminary teacher, first off, and I mention you a lot when people ask me how I met my husband Jake because we met in your after-school class!! Do you remember, we couldn’t stop talking? Sorry about that, but it lead to good things, great things actually. We have three daughters and are doing research at the Mayo Clinic. I’ve wanted to reach out to you and let you know so that maybe you’ll forgive us for being distracting and that despite the cute boy your seating chart sat me next to the Spirit of your lessons has stayed with me all these years. So thank you, for everything!! Love to you and your sweet family! - Meleece Cheal Orme
ReplyDeleteWow! Who knew that so much good could come out of that little after school seminary class!?! Thanks for contacting me. You are super sweet. I'm so happy that you and your family are thriving and happy. I'm sorry if I bugged you too much about flirting in my class (I do remember that, even though your names faded). I am much more mellow and patient as a teacher than I used to be. :-)
DeleteBest wishes in your marriage, parenting, and research/work. The Gospel is the answer!